Saturday, June 14, 2008

This week I decided to set these blocks together, as the next old UFO to be tackled. I made them years ago, when we lived on the farm, and I pieced them all by hand. I used to get a lot of hand work done in front of the telly at night- perhaps I should put my knitting down and go back to it.

I had a collection of precious bits, the tag ends of fat quarters and favourite fabrics so I used them up in this. I could only cut enough for one block from each fabric, and it was like my farewell to them. Now that I've got a huge stash of gorgeous reproductions some of my choices in this top seem ordinairy, but I loved them at the time. And some I still adore, like these.


I hung it in the doorway to take a photo, here's the other side shown against the light. I do love the stained glass effect, but it would be too annoying to leave it hanging there for long. Pity, it's pretty.

Can you see that in one block I had to piece the fabric to cut all the triangles out? It really was precious. Now, what about borders?

6 comments:

Kim West June 14, 2008  

That is pretty. The effect from the other side is stunning.

loulee June 14, 2008  

I love the stained glass effect too. What a treasure. How about a pieced border, made with more treasured pieces?

sewkalico June 14, 2008  

It's gorgeous! And so special that you've used the fabrics with so much care. I have a quilt hanging over a window (to make the room dark for one of the kids) and I often find myself staring at the seams wondering why I ironed it the way I did LOL.
Borders? Definitely something pieced... flying geese? More squares in squares???

*karendianne. June 14, 2008  

That's a totally amazing effect. I didn't know how you made that happen? Ironing, ha? Well its really something else to see.

I love love LOVE seeing the different fabrics you used.

Helen in the UK June 15, 2008  

Congrats on getting your oldest UFO to this stage - looks wonderful! Great that it is full of fabrics with such great memories attached. Does it really need a border? I would be tempted to just quilt and bind :)

meggie June 15, 2008  

I feel a bit like Helen... does it need a border?
Something quiet to offset the precious fabrics, perhaps?

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP