Sunday, July 06, 2008

My sewing table is a mess at the moment, because I've been auditioning fabrics for some sets of blocks. I've finished quite a few old projects lately- to the top stage anyway, and now I want to pick three more things to work on. It took me hours yesterday morning, and some time today to make my decisions, and I have stacks of rejected fabric to put back in the drawers. I think I know where I'm headed now, and I've worked out the setting plans on graph paper so I know what to cut and how much fabric I need. I'm ready to go!
I keep sets of blocks in these pizza boxes, or deep egg boxes, and my goal is to have some empty ones soon.

Yesterday I got the borders on this top, which I call Double Reel. These blocks weren't old, but they used old fabric from the 80's, so I'm pleased to get them all out of my stash.

I really like the little stepstool from Ikea, I plan to buy another one for the workshop because it's nice and solid and we both need a little help in the height area.
The stained glass shot....
I've been knitting a stole at night, my own pattern, using a shetland lace stitch called Madiera and Diamond and an edging I thunk up. I bought this gorgeous merino 2 ply laceweight last year at the Sydney show, and I realised I wasn't going to have enough to make the stole the length I wanted.
After a bit of searching I found the supplier in New Zealand, and was able to secure another skein. The colours look a great match but I'll work alternate rows for a while to blend the two dyelots together. I've really enjoyed this knitting, I adore lace, but I'm rather slack at blocking it afterwards. I've got two lace shawls in the cupboard waiting, and I might have to treat myself to some blocking wires soon. Can't handle all that pinning.

5 comments:

loulee July 06, 2008  

Nice quilt.
Being vertically challanged I understand the need for steps, Hunney laughs at me when I scoot off for my step, just to reach a new bag of sugar! LOL

Melinda July 07, 2008  

I have a blocking wire tip: Go to a welding supply store and buy stainless steel tig rods. They come in a variety of sizes - I bought 16 mm. I got a pound of them (32 or so in number) for $22 (US), much cheaper than official blocking wires.

meggie July 07, 2008  

Your top looks great! Very unusual blocks.
I love your knitting, & am fascinated with Melinda's tip!
When I made porcelain dolls, I used conduit fittings from electrical shops. It is surprising how enterprising we women can be, at solving problems- & money!
I am not that short, but I need steps too!

Days and colors July 07, 2008  

My table is always a mess!!!If it is tidy, that means I'm sick and can't sew...I was surprised to see that your top is a stained glass one! I couldn't see it in the first photo! Your knitting is pretty, I like the colour and the pattern!

sewprimitive karen July 07, 2008  

Always enjoy your stained glass shots :-). It's so satisfying to pull out old projects and to plot and plan with them, isn't it? I've been doing the same thing lately. How do you use blocking wires?

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP