Saturday, May 25, 2013

 I've started sewing my sawtooth stars together and I'm having fun choosing the centres for them. Rather than cutting strips from my fat quarters, which would give me about five squares of the same fabric, I went through my smaller pieces and scraps and cut one or two 3 1/2" squares. I've exhausted the possibilities of that so now I'm going to cut just one square from my fat quarters to give me  lots of variety. I've got nearly eighty sets of star points and if I really like a certain fabric I'll cut more than one, but I should have a nice range of material once I'm done.
I've studied the rather blurry photo in the book and decided that I can have warm browns to cheddars, dull reds, stripes, greys tending to blue or mauve, but definitely no green or bright yellows. It's amazing how many fabrics suddenly looked green when I put them next to the apricot backgrounds or the madder star points.
I haven't decided whether this is the setting fabric of not, but it's very nice and gives me an idea of where I'm going.
 Unless I try a lighter tone, or something completely different....I do hate to commit myself to one plan of action !
Pippi is feeling the cold now and puts herself to bed under her blanket. It's so funny to watch her do this, she finds an edge and sticks her nose under it until she can flip it over her head, then she gradually tosses it over her whole body. If she's feeling extra cold she'll then turn round a couple of times, so that the blanket winds around her legs, and collapse in a heap, completely covered and looking like a fat round donut.
But if she wants a bit of a cooling effect, or just to keep an eye on things, she leaves her nose and paws sticking out- I think she's so clever to do this on her own. And cute too.

2 comments:

Karen May 26, 2013  

I like scrappy star designs. The first quilt I ever designed myself was made with a variation of the sawtooth star.

antique quilter May 26, 2013  

the stars are looking great! I love that grey fabric with the brown star points and yellow background, wow, never saw that one! Pippi is so smart sleep on top a quilt and then use the blankie on top ! that is just adorable she can do that on her own!
Kathie
looking foward to seeing more of this star quilt, just love stars ....

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP