Friday, March 16, 2012

Despite the fact that I've got several projects in the works at the moment, I was suddenly overcome by the urge to start a nine patch quilt that I saw in a book.I didn't even try to talk myself out of it, but jumped straight in and began cutting.

I wanted a different dark fabric for each block, but I've kept the same cream throughout, so I could cut a whole half metre into 2 1/2" strips. This is most unusual for me, because I like scrappy everything, including backgrounds.

I didn't want to strip piece long strips, as I only needed one block from each fabric, so this is the system I came up with. I cut from fat quarters, and one strip is plenty for each block.

I layered a light and dark, right sides together, and found I could cut two pairs stacked on top of each other without any trouble.
My strips are 2 1/2", and my first cut was three times that measurement, plus a little bit for squaring up as I cross-cut later. I cut at about 8" here.
Then with the stack untouched I made another cut of squares at 2 1/2". After this I pulled out the cream fabric and cut single squares of the dark fabric. This resulted in a pair of the 8" cuts and two dark squares and one light, for each block.Then I sewed all the 8" strips together, which went very quickly, and pressed them.
Next they were cut into 2 1/2" slices
and each slice had another square added to it, light or dark, to make the nine patch.
I have sewn long strips together to make nine patches, but I'd rather deal with shorter lengths, and when you need a lot of variety this method is very easy. And it goes without saying that when you're using scraps this is great too- if you have a 13-14" strip of dark fabric you can get a block from it.

I was humming along making these when I happened to read Kathie's post about her nine-patch quilt. Oh my goodness, I want to start one of those too! I think I could just make quilts from nine-patches for a year and still not be done with this block, I love it!

And here's another way to make nine patches without using long strips, in Bonnie's directions for her Sister's Choice quilt...

2 comments:

Laura March 16, 2012  

That is exactly how I made the nine patches for a nine patch and hourglass christmas quilt I made. When I sew long strips together I tend to warp them when pressing, but the 8 inch strips worked like a charm.

I always love seeing your projects so will look forward to seeing what these blocks become!

antique quilter March 19, 2012  

One never has enough nine patch quilts in mho!
thanks for the tutorial on how you make your nine patches! I always love seeing how others work
Kathie

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP