Thursday, July 02, 2009

Firstly, the potato recipe.

Fran was a darling and found it on the net, saved me all that typing, but the photo is the one from the book. The actual page is really stained and spattered, which only shows how much we've used it over the years.

We used to watch Kurma on SBS when we lived on the farm, and we were often inspired to try the recipes, eventually owning two vegetarian recipe books of his. But finding the right ingredients was quite a problem; where to get asafoetida powder or curry leaves in Crystal Brook?

Rob used to have to visit the diabetes clinic at the Adelaide Childrens Hospital every three months, and on one of these trips we discovered a whole food shop in Central market that seemed to have everything. Kalonji seeds, chana dal, curry leaves, urad dal, besan flour, all the ingredients we'd wondered about and couldn't get.

I'm definately not vegetarian, but wouldn't mind if I had to be; I don't think I'd miss meat that much. Nor am I whatever religion Kurma is, not interested in that side of things at all. I just like really tasty recipes, and I have very fond memories of Sundays in the farm kitchen with the boys, chopping and stirring and cooking and having fun. Rob was my main partner in crime, and the others ate whatever was served without complaint. Usually. Although John did once remark that when Rob chopped an onion the pieces could choke a horse. He has much more finesse now I think.

I can now show you a secret project because the intended recipient has it in her hot little hands.

Last year when Rob went away Keryn and I made a flannel quilt for him as a going away gift. It came to my attention that Elisa would like one of her own, (I heard there was a bit of competition over who got the blankie when they were watching tv) and so I started sewing this as soon as I could.

There were those at Patchwork who thought it must be for an intended grandchild, because of the ducks, but no. Elisa is mad on ducks, she even had a "Duck's Night" instead of a Hen's Party. So when I saw this fabric I knew I had to use it somehow. It was very cute to work with, and Keryn specially designed a duck panto to quilt it with, so it's ducks all the way! I don't know if I'll ever get a call to use it on a customer quilt, but the pattern is there if needed.

Ducks anyone?

4 comments:

pdudgeon July 02, 2009  

awwww, how adoreable is that!!!

you two are the best when it comes to making quilts and quilting designs. that is one special quilt.

meggie July 04, 2009  

My gosh, what a lucky girl Elisa is, getting a special quilt like that! LOve that pattern, & the quilting is the perfect last touch.

YankeeQuilter July 06, 2009  

I think that duck panto is wonderful! Of course our summer house on Cape Cod was called The Mucky Duck!

anareis July 16, 2009  

Estoy haciendo una campaña para recabar donativos para mi proyecto de minibiblioteca comunidad y otras actividades para niños,niñas y adolescentes en mi comunidad que carecen de aqui en Rio de Janeiro.Necesito ayuda de todas las personas de buen corazón,se puede donar 5,00 à 20,00,las donaciones se enviaron cartas(correspondencia). Mi comunidad es muy pobre y la necesidad de donar ayuda.Para enviarme un correo eletrónico daré la dirección de correo eletrónico remessa. Meu: asilvareis10@gmail.com ,Ayudarme ayudar a mis hijos. Faça un visita a mis blogs: Eulucinha.blogspot.com , me agradecida. Que DIOS nos bendiga a todos.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP