Sunday, November 09, 2008

I'm having a nice time pottering in my room and sorting things out. Still haven't found the missing sashes, and I'll probably have to choose a new fabric. (The missing bits were the maroon stripe in the foreground.)
The antique quilt I based it on had lots of different stripes used in the sashing and I was going to use just two, but I guess I'll be following the original by having three or more fabrics.

As a reward for slaving over the huge quilt I wanted to do something little and decided a runner like Keryn's would be a quick project. In my searches I pulled open a drawer and found some leftover 9-patches, and as the 3 1/2" strip drawer was getting full I made setting squares from them. The resulting top is twice as wide as this (couldn't get it all in one photo) and used all but four of the blocks.
The 3 1/2" drawer still wouldn't shut properly and I was sick of a bag of 2" strips that Keryn had given me, so it all went into the backing. I simply pieced all the bits on their short edges into long, long strips, then cut the lengths I needed for the back, with a bit extra to allow for quilting. As I sewed the lengths together I was amazed at how much it took, this would be a good way to get rid of those stubborn boring bits that refuse to 'go' with anything else. Looks boring and ho-hum, but it's the Back! Who's going to see it, I ask you? Probably everyone because I'll turn it over and show them....


I have these two vintage baskets in my sewing room. The one with the blue handle is my ironing basket and fabric, scraps and strips that need pressing wait in there, next to the ironing board. When I've finished pressing seams I usually take out a few small bits and press them and trim them to size before I cut my next lot of pieces for the current project. It's a good way to keep on top of the bits that accumulate.
But the next basket is my tiny scraps and triangles and there's no way of emptying this unless I spend hours there trimming. I take consolation from the fact that it's never been completely full, so I must be making some indent, but cut a few bindings or have a friend give you a wee baggie and suddenly it's brimming again. I figure the baskets take up the same space empty OR full, so what does it matter? As long as I never have to get a second basket for tiny scraps I'll be happy.

13 comments:

Paula November 09, 2008  

What a sweet little nine patch...I love it. The back is great too, and I'd show it off if I were you!! Cute, cute, cute.

Lori in South Dakota November 09, 2008  

Do you have a basket fetish? I know I do!! They sit on shelves with FQ's in them, on the long arm table with bobbins in it, attached to the wall with sharpie markers it it. One basket holds odd spools of thread. One holds a UFO. Hmmm--should get more baskets out for UFO's.......

Anonymous,  November 09, 2008  

THOSE QUILTS ARE ABSOLUTLEY GORGEOUS, I LIKE HOW YOU MIX YOUR SCRAPS TOO...PATCHWORKSAIL@COMCAST.NET

Tazzie November 09, 2008  

I always admire the quilts you're working on, and these ones are no exception - but I love the way you pieced the strips to make up a back, I think I'm going to try that one next time!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

pdudgeon November 10, 2008  

hehe, just call that 9 patch a reversable quilt; 9 patch on one side and lasagne quilt on the other! Love them all!

Diane November 10, 2008  

I bet you're feeling mighty virtuous right now, as well you should! The nine patch quilt (both front and back) looks fabulous. I think we'll be seeing a lot more scrap pieced quilt backs in these recessionary times.

julieQ November 10, 2008  

Really pretty nine patch, and what a good way to empty out those drawers and baskets! Love you ingenious backing, too.

Anonymous,  November 10, 2008  

I love your nine patch - so old style scrappy. The backing is such a good use of fabric. I really enjoy making scrappy backings too - especially big nine patches. Love your quilts!
Tracy

Anonymous,  November 11, 2008  

Brilliant idea for the strips on the back - never thought of that. Love the 9-patches and your baskets of bits.

YankeeQuilter November 14, 2008  

I love that 9-patch! The baskets with scraps look so much nicer than the plastic bins...

meggie November 16, 2008  

Great nine patch, love the srappy backing.
I too, have baskets that I love, but dont use them as productively as your! Though most of them contain fabric, I will admit!

Marisa November 16, 2008  

Oh, I'm such a huge 9 patch fan. That quilt is adorable.

Maggie A November 18, 2008  

oooohhhhh, love the first one. I can't get motivated at the moment but when I see a quilt like this one I feel a bit of a tingle.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP