Monday, December 31, 2007

The holidays just aren't complete without a jigsaw, but I'm ready to give up on this one. 3000 pieces and 4 feet wide is just too big in my book. We've done even more since I took this picture yesterday, but it's only getting harder and harder. The pieces that are left are just a blur of muddled colours- I don't think photos are meant to be blown up this big.
Keryn is more obsessive than me(she's done all the hard bits in the foreground and I did the roofs and hills, which were much easier. But I did them upside down, because we can't both work on one side of the table, so that made it more difficult. I have a lovely jigsaw that I really want to do, so if this one gets the flick (my goodness, look at that SKY!!) I'll have the new one set up in a flash. And that's only 1000 pieces, so it should be done in no time....

Keryn helped me weed out some material to cut up for pieced backings. There were a few tussles over bits she thought should be cut up, and which I was still a bit too fond of, but we managed to agree to the total of 12 and a half metres. Not too bad. According to her theory of stashout=stashin, does that mean I can go buy 12 metres? (perhaps I'd better sew these up first, I haven't technically used them up yet)
We each chose a project that we wanted to finish quickly this week and here's mine. I had the anvil blocks as a kit that I took to our patchwork meetings, so they didn't get worked on regularly. I was a bit sick of them hanging around and wasn't in love with how they were turning out so I decided to make a little top and call it quits. The broken dishes blocks were from another lot of scraps and became the border. I like this idea of using two sets of blocks in one top, and it turned out so well I might make it from nice fabric next time.
Also completed were 48 leader-ender four patches from 1 and 1/2" squares, the drawer is almost empty now so I'll have to cut up some more scraps. I'll tuck these away for later, Keryn and I want to tackle the orphan blocks soon, and these may be good for spacer units.
Three more bindings done, and I don't want to see another one for a while, thankyou very much.!
Keryn and I are making New Year's Lists and we'll probably see 2008 in with a glass of port or wine as we reflect on the year behind us, and welcome the one ahead.....

10 comments:

Carol E. December 31, 2007  

You are way more patient with jig saw puzzles than I am. I give up quickly when they get challenging (like that sky). Love the anvil quilt. Happy New Year!

Lynn Dykstra January 01, 2008  

the anvil and broken dishes quilt is just wonderful!

Andrea January 01, 2008  

That anvil top turned out beautifully. Best wishes for the New Year Mereth.

Helen in the UK January 01, 2008  

Love the way you combined the Anvil/Broken Dishes blocks. They work well together :)

meggie January 01, 2008  

Anvil with broken dishes = lovely!

We used to love doing jigsaws. But now, we dont see so well! LOL. Gom is getting new specs, so maybe once he gets them, I can distract him from the garden vandalising...

Happy 2008! Great production is begun already it seems.

Patti January 01, 2008  

The anvil-broken dishes quilt is absolutely perfect in my mind. Looks just like an antique quilt that's over 100 years old. My favorite kind. I saved the picture for inspiration - I hope that is OK with you.

Mary Johnson January 01, 2008  

I like the combination of the anvil and broken dishes blocks.

I've got 3 binding waiting and with a quilt almost finished on the machine that will make #4, I'll be sick of bindings myself.

Annie January 03, 2008  

You and Keryn do the most wonderful quilts!

: )

Laura January 04, 2008  

I love your anvil and broken dishes quilt!

julieQ January 04, 2008  

Lovely quilt top!! You are getting so many quilts done now that you have the Statler!! pretty cool...

JulieQ

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP