Sunday, December 14, 2008

I managed to put the binding on this runner yesterday, so I have another finished object. The centre square in square blocks were made with the leftover red triangles from this project, and extra square in square blocks from this top. I was going to add them to the orphans pile when by accident they were jumbled up with the paler green fabric. "Hmm", I thought, "Why not add another round of triangles...." and so I did, and then I decided to make a little project, something I could use straight away. The orphan pile is tottering anyway!It took no time at all to piece, and when Keryn was quilting her runners I threw this onto the remaining backing fabric and had it quilted before I even knew it. Yay for little projects.
But I'd made nine blocks to use up all the bits, so there was still one block to donate to the orphans anyway. I can't use up Everything it seems.

I don't know what this block is called; I've been referring to it as "Fancy Churn Dash" but I suppose I should go look it up somewhere. It's finally in one piece, except for the corner setting triangles and the borders, but I know what I want to do and hopefully it won't take too long.
I started these ages ago and kitted them up from some reproductions my friend Kaye gave me. I was so thrilled at the time, but now they appear a bit dull, in light of what I've added to the stash since then. But I'll always remember how special they were to me when genuine reproduction fabric was rare here and usually more than I could afford.
I don't know why, but I just adore on-point settings. I tip blocks on their point as a matter of course and there's very few that I don't like from this angle. There are so many possibilities with every block, how could we run out of ideas?

9 comments:

julieQ December 14, 2008  

Hi Mereth! YOur table runner is so lovely with your quilted baptist fans, very nice. I am loving that quilt top too! I think fancy churn dash is a good name.

Tazzie December 14, 2008  

I love the table runner Mereth, maybe the orphan block could be turned into a matching 'candle mat'? How fun to be digging into the scrap stash some more.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

pdudgeon December 14, 2008  

loving the quilts comming out of your sewing machines.
they're awesome!

Diane December 15, 2008  

Quilts can't help but reflect the times in which they were made. But if you choose a classic block, color combination and setting, as you have done with these Fancy Churn Dashes, your quilt will have a timeless look. This is a classic beauty!

MARCIE December 16, 2008  

Your table runner is so cute! I love using up pieces that are sitting in my way. Your fancy churn dash is stunning. I have made that block before, but I adore your version on point!

YankeeQuilter December 16, 2008  

I love blocks on point...totally changes the look. The tablerunner is wonderful.

Karen December 17, 2008  

I really like your "fancy churn dash" quilt that you are working on.
My orphan blocks usually end up going to charity. Then someone else can play with them.

meggie December 17, 2008  

That tablerunner is lovely. I love the quilt with the fancy churn dashes! I am not usually that keen on repro fabric, but somehow that really appeals to me.

Henrietta December 30, 2008  

OY!

Miss you! Hope the holidays were wonderful nd best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP