Friday, August 14, 2026

A Blue Finish

A few years ago I made this top with a sort of Rolling Star variation. I used all vintage fabrics, and I really like the way it turned out, and I do plan to quilt it....one day.


The block was so easy to make I decided to see if I could use a heap of blue scraps to make a two colour quilt. I have trouble limiting myself to two fabrics, but I thought I could manage sticking to a variety of blues.


I duly made thirty blocks (obviously had more scraps than I thought) and put them on the design wall. I originally thought I'd use light and medium blocks as well, but they seemed to make holes in the design, and so I moved on to other things. Making the blocks seemed so easy, and then the agonizing begins, on settings and placement and the overall effect. I can get stuck for years deciding on this stuff.



This year I decided to move some old projects along and pulled this out, vowing to just replace the light and medium blocks with new ones, and get it done. Somehow, I rejected enough blocks that I can now make another complete top, but I'm not in a hurry to finish that. At least I was happy enough to set the blocks together with a 3/4" sashing (1 1/4" cut) and get a border on





Upon seeing this for the first time Keryn mused " It's very...Blue, isn't it?" Yep, it's pretty intense in person but it's in one piece, and I can put it in the "For Sale" pile at the shop, finally.

I may have started a pink version that sort of crashed along the way, but 
I think I've come up with a setting plan for that too.


0 comments:

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP