Monday, September 13, 2021

The right time

I saved this photo on ebay more than 20 years ago and have always wanted to recreate the pattern. It's funny how I've looked at this for so long and suddenly it seems the right time to start it. I love the stripes and madders and browns, and also the variations in the lights. They make subtle stripes across the quilt and I knew the challenge of that would keep me interested.

I wanted the pink to be one constant fabric but I only had about a metre of the 'perfect' choice. My back-up stash (Keryn) didn't have any to contribute so I knew I'd have to be careful and eke it out. 


I started using flippy corners, but my goodness, the waste! I knew that couldn't continue.

 

The cut-off corners from two blocks equaled nearly a 3" square: Unacceptable!! And no, they are far too tiny to piece together. They would be less than a 1" square when finished and I'm not going there.

So I tried triangles with the corners nubbed, hoping that would still allow me to position the corner correctly without having to waste that precious pink fabric. 


I had to be pretty careful, but it worked. Not all the blocks and intersections are perfect but the pattern is very forgiving and I made great progress.



I'm so far along I'm wondering if I need to have a border or just a binding and looking forward to putting all the browns away for a spell.



3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver September 13, 2021  

Your quilt block looks great. I agree about flippy corners using too much fabric. I don't like having leftover triangles either. Happy stitching!

Rose Marie September 13, 2021  

I've done the waste not flippy corners also, but your way is different and I must try it next time. This will be such a lovely quilt once finished!

Unknown September 14, 2021  

What a great pattern. I'm so impressed that you were able to eek out the pink and make it work. However, I sure wish you lived closer, as I probably have some pink to share.

San / Gypsy Quilter Designs

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP