Sunday, March 03, 2019

I decided last year that I would try to clear out some really long-standing projects, and if I didn't want to finish them I'd chuck them out. Brave words, and they inspired me to finish quite a few, even if not exactly to my original vision for them.


Years ago I started these Spinning Rail blocks as leader enders, using 1 1/2" by 2 1/2" bricks. I had a drawer full of precut bits and this was an easy way to get rid of them.

After making dozens  I joined them into fours, trying to use similar colours and they sat like that for even more years. I was originally going to make a large bed quilt with them set on point but somewhere along the way I realised that it wasn't going to happen.

I put the finished blocks up on the design wall and while I kept the original idea of setting them on point I decided to make a small square top, just using whatever I'd already made. I chose a setting fabric without allowing myself to agonise too much, and then a border fabric that was leftover from another quilt and in a couple of days it was all done.

 I arranged all the lighter blocks in the middle and the darker ones in the corners and it worked out miraculously, with only two little four inch blocks leftover. I couldn't have planned it any better from the start.

Amazing, and now it joins the ranks to be quilted, another list that has spiraled out of control. Perhaps this year will be the year of quilting!

7 comments:

Sandy March 03, 2019  

Excellent! Especially how you defined the light area in the middle. Your setting and border fabrics are perfect..

keryn March 03, 2019  

Excellent way to combine those blocks. Didn't you make some that were spinning the wrong way....?

Lori March 03, 2019  

Great job Mereth! The arrangement of lights and darks really pulls it all together.

Sue SA March 04, 2019  

Looks great, must be pleased to whittle down the ufo list. Love this block on point.

jude's page March 07, 2019  

It looks great, I think I have a heap of those bricks filed away somewhere too, good luck with your quilting list, I don't have much luck with getting mine done either, while I am quilting for others.

رامز المثاليه March 08, 2019  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
رامز المثاليه March 08, 2019  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP