Friday, July 08, 2016


 I've been doing some customer quilts that were very involved, and I can't post them here because their owners want their Show and Tell to be a surprise, so here are some photos of a little quilt I did a while ago.

I've never said much about our other job of being posties because we have to think about people's privacy. While a lot of our experiences are funny, they might be litigation worthy if we wrote about them here!  I love the fact that everyone recognises us and says hello; it's been great being part of our little town like this for six years now. I always said I didn't want to do a seventh year, and hopefully we've found a way to quit without leaving our nice bosses in the lurch. If it doesn't quite work out I might help out a bit, but the writing is on the wall. I don't want to be riding a motorbike when I'm retirement age! Still a long way off, but our predecessors were in their sixties and seventies.

It's also made the quilting job harder to fit in, and we're hoping that we'll be increasing our output dramatically from now on. I'll miss the job in lots of ways, the chats with people, seeing the gardens change from season to season, the dogs that just adore me and wait to get their pat every day. One beagle insists on standing up and giving me a kiss every time I see her, and if I ride past I can hear her howls of protest all down the street.It's mostly been a laugh, although this winter has tried our sense of humour..

We've been pretty lucky and only had a few really rotten days with being rained on, but this year has been particularly wet. There are teams of technicians digging up the footpaths installing the National Broadband Network and I unsuspectingly rode into a patch of soupy mud that swallowed the back wheel before I could get out. (We have no paved footpaths in our town). I couldn't put the sidestand down and go get help because the whole thing just sank sideways so I yelled at some guys in the distance who came and helped lift the bike out. (They are 110 ag bikes and weigh a lot more than you'd think)

As you can see by my grin I considered it funny at the time, but it makes me think about the possibility of injuries and the increasing weight of parcels and all the less appealing aspects of the job. These hands were made for more creative purposes than dragging cartons of wine around.

 I have lots of good memories and I'll remember in particular the amazing events, like having a kangaroo jump in front of the bike, or riding down a country road lined with gumtrees and being joined by a flock of pink galahs, who flew next to me as if they were enjoying the race. Both things that I wouldn't have experienced standing at the longarm!

3 comments:

QuiltinLibraryLady July 09, 2016  

I understand your feelings about leaving the job. I will be retiring on August 29th at 3pm from my job as Director of our town library after 31 years as Director and 6 before that as Assistant. I'll miss the people and getting to order all those new books. Story Times, Craft Days and Summer Reading Programs are always fun, but for a part-time job it ties me down full-time because of the schedule. People keep telling me I can collect my Social Security AND keep working at the library, but I don't want to be like a librarian friend in a neighboring town who was still plugging away when she was 80. Follow your heart straight to the quilting machine!

Sue SA July 09, 2016  

Great stories! I dont imagine being bogged on a motorbike loaded with parcels is fun, after being rescued it would be funny! As your a dog person I can see you having to go have periodic visits with your old friends - so funny that dogs have this daytime social life we dont know about while their owners at work!

Tanya July 09, 2016  

Im hearing you, even though i quite like my job in aged care and will miss my lovely clients im looking forward to the day i can retire from work and sew more. Im sure it wont be that easy but i can dream. Your quilting is gorgeous btw 😊

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP