Saturday, December 13, 2014

When I finished my 16 patch top I had a lot of cut two" squares left over. I was going to just put them away for another day when I came across his photo of an antique quilt that I'd saved years ago. I'd always meant to use 2 1/2" squares, but I had these 2" leftovers, all in the right colours....

 Then I remembered I'd actually bought some blue fabric intended for this top, in the form of a 70's style "Brunch coat". I loved the pattern of the fabric, but the style of the garment left a lot to be desired.

 It was full length, had cape sleeves that were completely lined,  a gathered skirt, round yoke, also lined, and lots of white daisy lace in various places. What a pity I didn't take a photo before I deconstructed it! It was cotton, and I would say hardly worn at all; although it's a bit flimsier than todays quilting fabric I thought it was quite sturdy enough for piecing.

So off I went, thinking I might get a small top finished before I ran out of setting fabric..

I called a halt at 50 pieced blocks, and 49 6 1/2" setting blocks, and I still have most of one skirt panel left over.

Thanks to the four cape sleeves and huge yokes, there was a lot more fabric than I expected here. A nice surprise, but as I want to make a pieced border as well, I don't want to make it any larger than this.

I'm planning to make the borders my leader enders for the rest of the year, while I work on finishing something else. I haven't actually chosen what to work on yet, but I'll let you know.

In the meantime, I think we're putting up the tree at Keryn's place, Christmas has really snuck up on us this year!

2 comments:

Brenda December 13, 2014  

over this. Can't wait to see what you do for borders.

claire witherspoon January 02, 2015  

Great 'repurpose' on that blue and white print! 'love e your version I really cartches the flavor of the original! Happy New Year!!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP