Tuesday, June 19, 2012

 I was going through some tops the other day and found this one all folded up. I hadn't seen it for a while so I hung it up and examined it with great fondness. I made this one long summer school  holidays, when we lived on the farm.

I had great fun piecing the blocks, and most of these fabrics are long gone from the stash.
 I liked the two colour blocks, they're nice and clean looking,
 but I also loved using scraps for some of the pieces just to make it interesting.
 I made a Sister's choice using similar fabrics, thinking they were nice and masculine, but the boys proclaimed them too "girly". No pattern of any kind was permitted apparently, so both tops were relegated to the drawer for years and years.
 I didn't put a top border on this, because the boys just wanted quilts to come up to the pillow and this was long enough already. But it always looked a trifle unfinished to me and I was slightly dissatisfied with it.

When I got it out the other day it happened to fall onto a fabric I was considering for another backing, and it looked really good, so I think I'll put a strip of it across the top and piece some into the backing for this. It might even get quilted after all these years- perhaps one of the boys won't be so fussy now and be glad to give it a home.

3 comments:

Leeanne June 19, 2012  

I think this is a treasure! How wonderful to find it. I sure hope someone will love it.

Karen June 19, 2012  

Pulling out an older quilt is like looking at old friends. All those fabrics you have forgotten about.

Diane June 25, 2012  

What a handsome quilt! I’ve always loved that Crown of Thorns block and with the border of large triangles, I think it looks quite masculine. Quilt it up and keep it for yourself. It’s utterly charming.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP