Friday, March 15, 2019



I had a photo of an antique quilt that I wanted to replicate and so I started this set of blocks in January 2017, hoping it would be a  quick finish.

The blocks were quick to make but then finding the 'perfect' pink for the sashes bogged the whole thing down. I must have bought four lengths of material at different times, hoping that this would be 'it' , I shopped Keryn's stash, I looked in every shop we went  to but I was never satisfied.

Eventually I decided to just use one of the pieces I'd bought, but then I discovered there wasn't enough, and I'd have to use a different fabric as posts in between the blocks. So I had to look for a Second pink fabric that went with the first....grrr. I'd bought the end of the bolt or I would have gone back and got extra because I really liked the look of the original sashing.

I hate it when something that is supposed to be simple turns out to be a major headache. I usually put the project in time-out and work on something else but this time I was determined to see a finish. I forged ahead, even though I wasn't happy with the way it was looking.



I had my finish to cross off  my list but I still don't like the darker pink squares. I've even found myself wondering if I should find yet another pink fabric and gradually replace those bits. Would that be a bit obsessive? Or should I just take this as a lesson to not rush into finishing something just to say it's done?

9 comments:

Ann March 15, 2019  

Quilting friends of mine would say you should call it done. It is a very eye catching design. So I recommend making another.

MJinMichigan March 15, 2019  

It would be easier to consider it done but it would bother me and I would have to remove and replace the pink. Do whatever will make you happy in the end.

Lin McQ March 15, 2019  

The original quilt has the blocks looking like they are floating on the pink. In your quilt the blocks look boxed in. If your heart was set on replicating the original, I can see why you are disappointed. I like yours enough to leave it as is. If you have enough scraps and don’t mind making more blocks, you could make a second quilt if you are so inclined.

Mary Johnson March 15, 2019  

I like it! Even if it’s not your original plan it works. I would never take this this out.

julieQ March 15, 2019  

OH I just love it!! So, so perfect...great fabric choices in my opinion!!!

Suzanne March 15, 2019  

It’s a beautiful quilt! I like the way the cornerstones tie in with the centers of each block. If it were me, I would keep this as a stunning quilt- and make another the way you planned from the start! Maybe a smaller one, just to snuggle with in a comfy chair? Suzanne

Karen March 16, 2019  

You chose well on those pinks. Couldn't be a better choice in my opinion.

Cherie in St Louis March 16, 2019  

I would definitely leave it be as the resulting quilt is beautiful, even if not what you set out to achieve. Perhaps you could find the perfect pink and then make another one?

jude's page April 08, 2019  

I really like the different pinks, even better than the original that you wanted it to be like. I would not change a thing.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP