Saturday, October 22, 2016

It's my birthday today, and it was Keryn's yesterday- remember we wrote about it here, and here, and also here.  If you haven't read those posts, it's worth it as the story seems to be pretty unusual.

When I moved to Crystal Brook I was friendly with a lady in her eighties who I discovered had been a midwife  around that time-(late  1950's). I told her the story of our birth and she seemed very doubtful. "I've only heard of one case like that," she said and mentioned Mum.  I cried "That was US!" I'm very glad the story had a happy ending, or I wouldn't be writing this. To put it in perspective,  Keryn was  born at ten in the morning after an eight hour labour and I wasn't born till the following day at ten that night. Apart from having to spend time in a humidity crib, I seemed none the worse for my experience. And if we hadn't each had our own placenta it might have been a different ending too.

But here I am today, sewing yet another project and wondering where it's headed. I've been making these blocks for ages (think years) and my original plans have been discarded. It just wasn't working the way I wanted, so I've decided to finish this any-old-how and start again if I want to.

I think the block itself was from a Pat Speth  nickel pattern and it's a delight to sew. Very easy and the pressing makes it fit together beautifully. I wanted something very soft, with almost no contrast, but I think perhaps these might be too subtle....read boring.

I was playing with the idea of them set on point, but now I just want them done without fiddling with setting triangles. My new revised plan will explore that possibility and for now I'm concentrating on finishing all the cut out pieces and getting the blocks in one piece. It will be quite large, which tends to happen when you sew without specific measurements in mind.

I uphold the sentiment of "no work on your birthday", but I have to continue quilting  a huge Wedding Ring top that has to be finished very soon. I've nearly done the ditch stitching and today I'll focus on the borders, which are full of spectacular applique. I'll probably spend about six hours standing up, after that my feet feel like they're imploding, so that's my limit.
Also hindering me was a thorn that I got in my finger a couple of weeks ago. I dug out some bigger ones, and thought this was too small to bother with. I ended up with a red painful lump about 1/4" away, and the original entry point had healed up completely. It got so sore I was trying not to bend that finger at all, not conducive to good quilting. So last night I got out the soap and sugar  and made a poultice, and though I haven't taken it off yet the pain is almost gone.

I googled it out of interest and while I couldn't find an acceptable scientific explanation (but lots of references to doctors dismissing the idea) I just know it works. My Gran did it, my mum did it, now I've taught my kids to do it. It's a wonder someone hasn't tried to market it!

5 comments:

Chookyblue...... October 22, 2016  

Happy birthday girls.....
I had twin friends born either side of midnight .....

Lynne Stucke October 24, 2016  

I loved reading your story/ies! Reminded me of episodes of "Call the Midwife" . . . I can just see Jenny as one of your midwives. Thank your for sharing.

And, speaking of sharing, I would be interested in the recipe for your poultice. I've never heard of it before. [lynnstck(at)yahoo.com]

Tanya October 24, 2016  

Id love the poultice recipe, ive never heard of it. Love your "birth" story, things would have been different nowadays im sure.

Lucy October 27, 2016  

Happy birthday you both! What a story.

I love your version of Sue nickels quilt. Beautiful colors.

scg November 07, 2016  

Hi Mereth, I have just found your blog, after trying to find out how to use my decades old Judy Hopkins Scrapmaster. I have put your blog into my favourites to find it when I need to use the Scrapmaster again in another decade or so. Lol.
What I really wanted was to find out if it would help with making flying geese and cutting them accurately, but very glad to know how to use the scrapmaster now, as I have fallen in love with half-square triangle borders framing a large border with feathers quilted in it. But they have to be scrappy triangles for the most part...don't ask me why, I just like them that way.
I love your blog. I will be returning to it again and again. If I'm ever in SA to visit a good {quilting) friend I'd love to meet up with you!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP