I have been a dedicated patchworker for over 30 years and a closet artist for even longer. I have an identical twin Keryn, and after 26 years living apart, we are finally in the same town again.We now own a Gammill Statler longarm and have started quilting for others. We have designed and sold continuous quilting patterns for over 10 years.
I try to paint when I can, particularly animals, but life is getting busier and busier. At least I'm never bored!
While I have started a couple of new quilts this year, I'm really trying to finish up old projects. These Economy blocks were made years ago to use up some blue scraps, but even making sixty of them didn't deplete the blue container much. I think there was more cream homespun used than anything else; the scrap pile of that fabric did go down quite a bit.
I pulled out twelve blocks as being far too dark (now I have to make another little top using them...) and chose a sandy beige setting fabric that's been in the stash for a very long time. I really like the understated effect of just one colour family (blue) and a single fabric for the setting. I raided Keryn's stash for another half a metre when I didn't have quite enough; it's handy having a backup source of free material if I run out. And she has access to my containers too if she needs something.
I made the border about an inch wider than the sashing, and put a 3" square in square block in each corner.
If I bind it in the sandy colour then all of that fabric will have been removed from my stash, and Keryns too. That's a win, and I've already chosen some backing material so that's about eight metres gone in total. It's not much, but every little bit helps.