Saturday, December 13, 2014

When I finished my 16 patch top I had a lot of cut two" squares left over. I was going to just put them away for another day when I came across his photo of an antique quilt that I'd saved years ago. I'd always meant to use 2 1/2" squares, but I had these 2" leftovers, all in the right colours....

 Then I remembered I'd actually bought some blue fabric intended for this top, in the form of a 70's style "Brunch coat". I loved the pattern of the fabric, but the style of the garment left a lot to be desired.

 It was full length, had cape sleeves that were completely lined,  a gathered skirt, round yoke, also lined, and lots of white daisy lace in various places. What a pity I didn't take a photo before I deconstructed it! It was cotton, and I would say hardly worn at all; although it's a bit flimsier than todays quilting fabric I thought it was quite sturdy enough for piecing.

So off I went, thinking I might get a small top finished before I ran out of setting fabric..

I called a halt at 50 pieced blocks, and 49 6 1/2" setting blocks, and I still have most of one skirt panel left over.

Thanks to the four cape sleeves and huge yokes, there was a lot more fabric than I expected here. A nice surprise, but as I want to make a pieced border as well, I don't want to make it any larger than this.

I'm planning to make the borders my leader enders for the rest of the year, while I work on finishing something else. I haven't actually chosen what to work on yet, but I'll let you know.

In the meantime, I think we're putting up the tree at Keryn's place, Christmas has really snuck up on us this year!


Sunday, December 07, 2014

 The colour in these photos is really bad, the greens are much more vibrant in real life. I've already chosen a backing fabric and cut the binding, but I doubt it will be quilted for a while yet. I like having it all organised in case I have a spare moment to throw  one of our tops on the machine, but that didn't happen much this year. I'm hoping January will be a quiet month and we can get some quilts of our own done.

I weighed the top, and according to the scales I've used 7 1/2 metres of fabric making this. I've only used a total of 73 metres all year which is pretty pathetic, but if I finished all the projects I'm currently working on the total would be more respectable. I'm doing my best, but things are only going to get busier from now on, so I might have to settle for whatever I can fit in.


Wednesday, December 03, 2014

I thought I would be clever and include a little twist to my piano key border by adding a 2' by 2 1/2'  strip to the top of each 2 1/2" by 5 1/2" 'key'.  That sewed up really quickly, and I was congratulating myself on doing something a little different...when I came to a screaming halt at the corners.

I hadn't worked out what to do when the little bits met, because I'd need a 2' square to make the border turn the corner....hmmm.

I often just run the border off the side in a butt joint, but that didn't look very nice with this configuration of strips, so I had to figure out a little block in keeping with the look of the rest of the piecing.

Back to the piles of green still on the cutting table, new 2" strips cut, and I had this little filler block whipped up.

 Then off to the sewing machine to get these borders sewn on; photos of the finished top in the next post....


About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by 2008

Back to TOP