Enter 2014 and the steely-eyed determination to finish long standing UFO's. I decided to unpick the zigzag and hand applique all the blocks, but I've found it's not easy to tease out the tiny litttle stitches. I've done the centres in two small blocks, and half of the large one, and have come to the conclusion I can live with the pink stitches. They really aren't too bad, and it's going to take me days and days to finish them otherwise.
If I can get all the centres and the large block appliqued I'll be perfectly happy, and then I can concentrate on the setting.
I like the idea of some sort of medallion and have been experimenting with leftover small blocks and cut out pieces.Perhaps some diamonds and four patches....
or maybe a little twisted diamond border..
The moral of the story is to do things the way you want to, otherwise you'll never be happy with the end result!