Tuesday, September 17, 2013

 Strangely, Kathie and I had decided to work on sixteen patches at the same time, and so my design wall looks much like hers. There aren't as many on mine  because I was using them as leader-enders while finishing the album blocks, but I'd love to forge ahead and make a heap more, now that the blocks are Done! I love the photo of the sixteen patch in the book she shows, I think Keryn's got that so I might have to dig it out and study it.

It really was a struggle at the end, sewing the outside triangles onto these. I'd been handpiecing them, and had left a zigzag edge around them- not bad to fill in by hand, but very slow going. I bit the bullet and started setting them in by machine, with lots of pinning and back stitching. Ugh!!
I think if I had to do one more I'd be sick, but all twentyfive are now finished and trimmed, which was rather hard on my hands. Phew, these blocks had better go together nicely, they've been a hard slog so far.

 Such old old fabrics, little calicoes and sprigs, bits of sheeting from the Actil factory, cut up  clothing from the op-shop, good patchwork fabric from the time when it cost $5.99 a metre (shocking!) and my whole stash of it fitted in a couple of  boxes.I can remember saying that when it hit $7 I would never buy another piece, then $10, then $20... Now that most of it is $24-$26 a metre I know better than to say I won't buy fabric. But I've got so much I'm not as tempted these days either!
I'll probably set this with a solid fabric for the sashes and try to use up the last of the old fabric on the back. I didn't have much when I made the blocks, but I've picked up more at garage sales and sales and scrap bags, not to mention Keryn giving me her bits to get them out of her own stash. I think I'll have enough....
 They don't look too bad after all.

2 comments:

Karendianne September 17, 2013  

Yeah, setting those in by machine vs. hand piecing. I totally see what you're saying. Personally, I think this going to come together great and you'll be super pleased. The fabrics came together so nicely. Great block layout!

Sue SA September 17, 2013  

The blocks look very effective on point.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP