Sunday, January 27, 2013

It's the second day of a long weekend, and I'm enjoying pottering from one task to the other. This morning I sorted and trimmed a pile of scraps that Keryn had given me, so they're all put away and tidy. I cut some shapes for the projects that I'm  working on now, and the rest were strips and squares to go in the drawers. Keryn seems to get overwhelmed by the amount of scraps her sewing room produces, and she's happy to clear them all out by giving them to me- who am I to complain?

I've also cleaned out the fridge and I have vegetable soup on the stove and a curry for tea tonight, so the house smells very nice, and I won't  have to stop sewing to cook later on. I have two tops pulled out to put borders on, so there's nothing on my design wall just now. But I found some photos I took before Christmas that I forgot to share.

I've been envious of all the little quilts being posted in blogland, so I decided to have a go myself. Wow! What fun! I could hardly stand it, they were so cute and easy to whip up. Choosing borders from the fat quarter box was lovely, so much more variety.
This is the first one I did, because I had the setting pieces lying on the cutting table, and I found the nine patches in the spare parts drawer. It's vaguely Christmassy and I hoped to get it quilted so I could hang it up, but didn't have time.
Then I found some squ in squ units and made this, which I love even though it's not symetrical.
Then I made some tiny hour glasses (they finish at 2") from scrap triangles and came up with this top, which is the smallest one. I found it hard to keep them little, most of my ideas had them turning into much larger pieces that would still have been nice, but too big to dispaly in one group.

Some leftover hour glasses turned into this square, tipped on point and surrounded by borders. The stripe was fun to do and I was really pleased with the effect.
I got so busy that I had to put these away so nothing is finished, and there are two or three more waiting to be sewn together. It was tremendous fun, and the more I played, the more ideas I had. I don't own a wall big enough to hang dozens of little quilts, but I can have a few grouped together. They don't take up much space in the cupboard either, so I can see many more of these fun projects in the future.

3 comments:

Jan January 27, 2013  

You're off to a great start! Really love the medallion.

Sue SA January 27, 2013  

Little quilts are such fun, l have just finished one Lori blogged about on Humble Quilts. I really love your 9 patch and hourglass quilts in particular! They will make great displays you can enjoy all year around.

antique quilter January 27, 2013  

your little quilts are wonderful, yes they are addictive! how about hanging them in a hallway like an art gallery!
keep making them and keep sharing! inspirational.
the last one really caught my eye. they are a great way to play with color combos and test a pattern in mho.
glad you had fun making them
kathie

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP