Friday, March 06, 2009

I took some photos today of a quilt I'd finished and a completed top, but left the camera around at Keryn's so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

In reply to comments, Meggie says my drawings in the previous post don't look skewiff, and there's a good reason for that- I never show any of my not-so-good stuff! When I used to do a lot of baking people would tell me what a wonderful cook I was. But they never saw the burnt biscuits, the dry cake, the lopsided sponge. The boys and the chooks ate those!

So my less than perfect drawing efforts stay between the sketchbook covers and don't see the light of day. But nothing's ever a waste, and I learn something everytime I pick up a pencil or brush.I use photos as a reference, but I never trace them- can't see the sense in that because I wouldn't be learning anything. And nothing is a substitute for drawing from life, that's when you really learn the ropes.

Judy asked how long it takes me. I'm tempted to answer that it's taken me 45 years so far.As I said I draw nearly every day, and usually at night. Those sketches both took me under half an hour, but that's only because I've had so much practice. Drawing is a gift, but it's also a skill that builds with repetition.

Keryn and I are without pets for the first time in decades, and we're both pining for an animal of our own. I used to see Matt and the dogs a lot more, but they haven't been visiting so much, and I miss them. Bonnie is owned by a friend of Matt's, and I think Macca has "left his mark" so to speak! She's probably got less than a fortnight to go, and we're all looking forward to the event.
"Do these puppies make my stomach look big?"

2 comments:

sewprimitive karen March 07, 2009  

Oh, your drawings! I love the sleeping Jasper...

meggie March 11, 2009  

Love those drawings! Yes! you need a puppy. Poor Bonnie looks about done!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP